Health libraryBack to health library
Oven-baked salmon with snow peas
Makes 4 servings.
3 leeks (white parts only), finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
1/2 pound snow peas (fresh or frozen)
4 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
1 bag baby spinach leaves (6-ounce)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 lemon, cut into quarters (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Tear off 4 large sheets (18 by 12 inches) of heavy-duty aluminum foil, and lay each piece on your workspace.
- Divide the leeks, carrots and snow peas into 4 equal portions, and place a mixture of each onto each sheet of foil.
- Top each mound of vegetables with a piece of salmon.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of ginger on each piece of fish, and drizzle each with 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil.
- Fold the foil to form a packet around each piece of fish, leaving enough room for heat to circulate. Roll the edges to seal tightly.
- Place the packets on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, place the spinach leaves in a microwave-safe bowl or platter.
- Drizzle the greens with fresh lemon juice and the remaining sesame oil.
- Heat the spinach in the microwave at high power for 3 minutes, checking every minute to make sure the spinach is tender but not overcooked.
- Divide the greens equally among 4 plates.
- When the salmon is cooked, open the packets carefully to allow the steam to escape.
- Empty each packet onto each of the beds of spinach.
- Garnish each plate with a lemon wedge and serve.
Each serving provides an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, magnesium and potassium and is a good source of calcium and dietary fiber.
Serving size: 1/4 recipe. Amount per serving: 256 calories, 7.8g total fat (1.2g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 20g carbohydrates, 27g protein, 5g dietary fiber, 145mg sodium.
Subscribe to This Week in Health to get the latest health news delivered to your inbox.