What to Wear During Pregnancy
Maternity Clothes: What to Wear While Pregnant
Pregnancy means buying new furniture, toys, strollers, and everything else needed to care for a new baby. However, being pregnant also means something else: growing out of your current closet and needing new clothes to accommodate the little one inside of you. If you don’t know where to begin, our guide will help you narrow down what clothing you’ll need and how to get it for an affordable price.
General Basics You’ll Have to Buy
Buying new clothes is inevitable when you’re pregnant. Because not all pregnancies and size changes are alike, here’s a few of the basics you should consider when shopping for maternity clothes:
- Plenty of supportive bras. Your breasts are one of the first things that will start to change once you’re pregnant. Besides getting bigger, they’ll also start to feel sore and uncomfortable. Supportive bras throughout your pregnancy will help ease any discomfort you may feel.
- At least one good pair of maternity jeans. Everybody has their favorite pair of jeans, but the inevitable realization that you’ll temporarily be unable to wear them may be closer than you think. Instead of trying to squeeze your baby bump into your favorite jeans, invest in a larger size or a pair of maternity jeans that fits your baby’s size. The beauty of keeping jeans in your maternity wardrobe is they go with just about anything!
- A few sizes up of sweatpants or leggings. You’ll want to be comfortable during maternity, and sweatpants or leggings will do just the trick. Pick up a pair of one or both of these that are a few sizes up to help you adjust as you grow.
- A new pair of flats. The right pair of shoes can help relieve any discomfort caused by back pain or foot swelling during your pregnancy. Instead of squeezing your feet into heels that provide very little support, invest in some comfortable flats. And remember to purchase a size up to account for any swelling.
- One good fitting dress. In case you have a night out or a formal event, you’ll want to have at least one dress on hand. Make sure the dress is comfortable and form-fitting to your new shape.
- A few long T-shirts. T-shirts are comfortable and can be worn anywhere. The good news is there are T-shirts for just about anything: sports, bands, and even just generic patterns if you don’t like graphics. Buy a few long T-shirts with designs you like and you’re in business!
- A few blouses. You’ll want to have some blouses on hand for a classier, professional look. Blouses are great because they give your stomach a chance to breathe and are very fashionable!
How to Shop for Maternity Clothes
The First Trimester
As fun as shopping can be, the first trimester isn’t where you need to spend your money. Mainly because what fits you today may not fit by the end of your pregnancy. In fact, you can probably get away with buying little to no new clothing during most of the first trimester.
That being said, here are some tips on how to dress during the first trimester by using some items you may already have in your wardrobe:
- Wear long, stretchy clothes. You probably have a few items that can stretch and accommodate as your baby begins to grow.
- Enjoy your flowy tops. They will help shape your body and won’t feel constricting.
- Don’t wear heels. This isn’t the time to be a runway model, so stick to flats or sneakers.
- It’s all about the pants. Your current jeans and shorts will buy you some time, but don’t be afraid to leverage your sweatpants to accommodate your hips and first trimester bloating. Listen to your body, and purchase one or two new pairs of pants when your current ones no longer work with your growing baby bump.
The Second Trimester
The second trimester is when your baby bump will really start to pop! This is the time when you should start to invest in maternity clothes that will grow with you.
- Invest in new maternity bras. Your breasts will continue to grow, and bras that provide the right amount of support will help you feel great throughout the day.
- Splurge on some new wrap tops or dresses that will stick with you as you grow and leave you feeling fabulous.
- Keep your pants long and stretchy to help you stay comfortable throughout the day.
- Make sure your shoes still fit. As mentioned above, consider purchasing a few pairs of flats or low-heeled shoes that don’t put pressure on your feet and back.
The second trimester is a beautiful part of pregnancy, so don’t be afraid to show off your baby bump! You may feel awkward carrying around the new weight and may even feel self-conscious about how your body looks, but that’s normal. Just remember that all these changes mean your baby is growing, and use your new maternity clothes to show off your new curves.
The Third Trimester
The third trimester is when your body really kicks things into high gear and you’ll see yourself gaining baby weight faster than before. You won’t be able to get away with not buying clothes, so here’s what you should do:
- Invest in a belly band. This will help secure your pants, and you’ll feel more comfortable throughout the day.
- Take advantage of the maxi dresses. They’ll keep you comfortable while flattering your curves.
- Go with the stretchy clothes. Cami tanks and other tops that stretch will show off your bump, keep you mobile and comfortable, and are super easy to maintain.
- Maternity leggings. These are an absolute must, especially during the colder seasons when you just want something both stylish and comfortable to wear.
When it comes to third trimester clothing, just make sure you’re comfortable. This is the time (especially during the last few weeks) when you’ll feel huge, worn down, and uncomfortable, so put aside anything skintight and focus on wearing what makes you feel light and relaxed.
King’s Daughters’ Health Obstetricians: The Maternity Care You Deserve
If you’re pregnant, there’s no better place to schedule an appointment than King’s Daughters’ Health. Our family-centered obstetricians can answer any questions or concerns you may have and help you hit the ground running so you can have a healthy pregnancy. Contact us today to learn more about our OB-GYN team and the maternity care services we provide.
CALL TODAY ... 812-801-0856